05 February 2012

Lemon Balm Lavender Ice Cream


I grew fresh lemon balm and a lavender plant in my garden last year and was left puzzled with what to do with these delicious smelling herbs. So, Google being my best friend, I started searching for ideas. I stumbled upon this recipe and HAD to make it. This ice cream was my first attempt at homemade ice cream making (I have the kick ass ice cream churn attachment for my Kitchenaid mixer... if you have the mixer but not the attachment, spend the $60 and get it!!!). The ice cream turned out perfect and was the most fantastically delicious ice cream I have tasted in my entire life. The lemon balm gave a nice lemony note and the fresh lavender added the most delicate and elegant flavoring that I thought I was going to pass out it was so good!

INGREDIENTS:

2 cups cream
1 teaspoon dried lavender
2 tablespoons fresh lemon balm, chopped
1 cup sugar
3 egg yolks
2 cups milk
1 pinch salt

PREPARATION:

Mix the cream with the lavender, lemon balm and 1/2 the sugar, bring to a boil, then turn off heat and let steep for 20 minutes. Whisk together the egg yolks and the remaining sugar until light and fluffy. Add the milk and salt and whisk to blend. Add the milk-egg mixture to the cream and slowly heat, stirring constantly (do not let boil). Cook until the mixture becomes slightly thicker and coats the back of a spoon (5-10 minutes). Strain the custard into a clean container. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight. Process in an ice cream maker according to manufacturer's directions.

1 comment: