24 March 2010

Boston Creme Pie


There is no way to express how amazing this Boston Creme Pie was! I chose a very simple recipe online because I didn't have all the ingredients for the more complicated versions. Even taking that into consideration, it was wonderful! I used 3/4 cup of milk for the pudding and added 1/4 c Jamaican Dark Rum to make full cup (it should have only been about a tbsp, but that just wasn't cutting it for me). I have been requested to make this for Easter too!


Ingredients


  • 1 (3.4 oz) box instant vanilla flavored pudding
  • 1 c cold milk
  • 1.5 c whipped cream (recipe calls for cool whip brand, I made homemade using heavy whipping cream)
  • 1 round cake (made to package instructions. Calls for yellow cake, I had white cake mix in the pantry)
  • 1 oz bittersweet chocolate
  • 1 tbsp butter
  • 3/4 c powdered sugar
  • 2 tbsp cold milk

Directions

  1. Beat pudding mix and 1 cup milk with whisk (or hand mixer) for 2 minutes. Stir in whipped cream and rum. Let stand for 5 minutes.
  2. Meanwhile, cut cake horizontally into 2 layers with serrated knife (I also shaved the top of the cake to make it into a flatter surface).
  3. Put bottom layer of cake on serving platter. Spread pudding mixture and put top layer on.
  4. Microwave chocolate and butter on high for 1 minute (my microwave only took 30 seconds). Stir mixture until smooth. Add sugar and milk and mix well. Spread over cake.
  5. Refrigerate for 1 hour and serve.









No comments: