There is no way to express how amazing this Boston Creme Pie was! I chose a very simple recipe online because I didn't have all the ingredients for the more complicated versions. Even taking that into consideration, it was wonderful! I used 3/4 cup of milk for the pudding and added 1/4 c Jamaican Dark Rum to make full cup (it should have only been about a tbsp, but that just wasn't cutting it for me). I have been requested to make this for Easter too!
- 1 (3.4 oz) box instant vanilla flavored pudding
- 1 c cold milk
- 1.5 c whipped cream (recipe calls for cool whip brand, I made homemade using heavy whipping cream)
- 1 round cake (made to package instructions. Calls for yellow cake, I had white cake mix in the pantry)
- 1 oz bittersweet chocolate
- 1 tbsp butter
- 3/4 c powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp cold milk
- Beat pudding mix and 1 cup milk with whisk (or hand mixer) for 2 minutes. Stir in whipped cream and rum. Let stand for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cut cake horizontally into 2 layers with serrated knife (I also shaved the top of the cake to make it into a flatter surface).
- Put bottom layer of cake on serving platter. Spread pudding mixture and put top layer on.
- Microwave chocolate and butter on high for 1 minute (my microwave only took 30 seconds). Stir mixture until smooth. Add sugar and milk and mix well. Spread over cake.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour and serve.