24 March 2010

Chocolate Mousse with Raspberry Sauce

Sorry for the quality of this picture (and the next few), it was taken with my cell phone. OK, I made this dessert a month ago when my dad and his fiance came over for dinner. It was absolutely the most delicious chocolate mousse I have ever tasted. I was, admittedly, a bit skeptical because the recipe called for honey! Who puts honey in mousse? Rest assured, you couldn't taste it and it just added to the sweetness. I have made this a couple more times since then and its totally worth it! Side note, I used Ghirardelli bittersweet and semisweet chocolate.

Ingredients
  • 3/4 c raspberry jam
  • 1 tbsp raspberry liquor or orange juice
  • 3 oz semisweet chocolate
  • 1 oz bittersweet chocolate
  • 2 tbsp honey
  • 1 tbps brandy or orange juice
  • 2.5 c whipping cream
  • Chocolate curls or grated chocolate

Directions

  1. In a small saucepan, heat the jam over low heat until melted, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat. Stir in raspberry liquor (I used raspberry brandy). Set aside and cool completely.
  2. For the whipping cream, I use heavy whipping cream bought in the dairy isle at the grocery store. I use 2.5 cups of it and put it into my kitchenaid mixer and whip until light and fluffy.
  3. After whipped cream is ready, in another small saucepan heat chocolate over low heat until melted and smooth. Remove from heat. Stir in honey and brandy (I actually used Grand Marnier). Then add 1 tbsp of the whipped cream and blend until well combined (the texture is really odd, don't worry). Transfer to a large bowl and set aside to cool.
  4. Remove 1 cup of the whipped cream and set it aside for later use.
  5. Stir about a half cup of whipped cream into the chocolate mixture to lighten it. After that, fold remaining whipped cream into chocolate until fully blended.
  6. Put mousse into parfait glasses or fancy individual serving bowls. Put into refrigerator to chill. Top with some of the remaining whipped cream, raspberry sauce and curled chocolate when serving.

No comments: