24 March 2010

Greek Chicken & Pita Casserole

This isn't Burger King... you can't have it your way! Unless, of course, you come to my house! I not only made the Greek Chicken dish, but I made Mac-n-Cheese for my niece and salmon with steamed broccoli for our friend.

This dish was very different, I won't lie. It was good, but won't become a regular dish in our rotation... but I will make it occasionally. I think that the onions were maybe a touch overpowering. Though I followed the recipe, I think 1/4 cup of onion would have been fine. OK, here goes:

Ingredients
  • 4 cups chopped chicken or turkey, cooked (I actually boiled 2 chicken breasts and then shredded them using 2 forks, it made 4 cups exactly)
  • 1 (10.75 oz) can condensed cream of chicken soup
  • 1 medium red onion, chopped
  • 1/2 c chicken broth
  • 1.5 tsp Greek seasoning blend
  • 2 cloves minced garlic
  • 2-3 (6) inch pitas cut into bite-size wedges
  • Nonstick cooking spray
  • 3 medium Roma tomatoes chopped (about 1 cup)
  • 1 c crumbled feta cheese
  • 1/2 c pitted kalamata olives

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In large bowl, combine cooked chicken, soup, onion, broth, 1 tsp Greek seasoning and garlic. Transfer mixture to an ungreased 3 quart baking dish
  2. Coat pita wedges with cooking spray (I used EVOO) and sprinkle with remaining Greek seasoning (I added extra). Sprinkle pita wedges, tomatoes, cheese and olives on top chicken mixture. Bake uncovered about 20 minutes or until heated through. Makes about 4 servings (I think its more like 6 servings).

No comments: