This is a yummy twist on the traditional caprese salad! I was feeling totally adventurous and decided to make this last week for my husband, sister and best friend as a starter to dinner. Caprese salad is one of my favorites!!!
- 4 tomatoes (I picked medium to large tomatoes)
- 1/4 tsp Sea Salt
- 1/8 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 3 tbsp EVOO
- 3 tbsp vinegar (I used balsamic)
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- Fresh mozzarella cut into small chunks (I used 2 large mozzarella balls and it was enough to fill the tomatoes)
- 1/4 c slivered red onion
- 1/4 c snipped fresh basil
- Cut the top off the tomato and spoon out the core, seeds and all, leaving about a 1/2 inch thick shell. Discard pulp. Sprinkle tomatoes with sea salt and pepper. Stand shells on plate (I shaved the bottom of the tomatoes so they would stand better)
- For dressing, combine EVOO, vinegar and sugar. Shake well.
- In medium bowl, combine mozzarella, red onion, basil and 1.5 tbsp of the dressing. Toss to mix. Spoon cheese mixture into the tomato shells. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve. To serve, place each tomato on individual plate and sprinkle with additional salt and pepper.