I had a serious Indian food craving last night, and had some left over chicken so I decided what the heck, lets try my hand at chicken curry. The thought of it the next day is making me drool. LOL. I think it turned out wonderful especially paired with potato curry, basmati rice and naan.
- 2 lbs skinless, boneless chicken breast
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/2 c cooking oil
- 1.5 c chopped onion
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1.5 tsp minced fresh ginger root (I used ground ginger)
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 1 tsp each: ground cumin, turmeric, coriander, and cayenne pepper
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 (15oz) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 c plain yogurt
- 1 tbsp cilantro
- 1/2 c water
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 lemon
- Sprinkle chicken breast with salt
- Heat oil in large skillet over high heat. Add chicken and partially cook it. Transfer chicken to plate and set aside.
- Reduce heat to medium-high and add onion, garlic and ginger to remaining oil and cook until onion is tender. Stir in curry powder, cumin, turmeric, coriander, cayenne and 1 tbsp of water into onion mixture. All to heat for about a minute while stirring. Mix in tomatoes, yogurt and some of the cilantro. Return chicken breast to the skillet along with any juices on the plate. Pour about 1/2 cup water onto the mixture. Bring to boil, turning chicken to coat. Add garam masala and remaining cilantro.
- Cover the skillet and simmer until chicken is completely cooked (about 20 minutes)